Wraps off at Worswick Chambers
For the first time in 20 years, the scaffolding that has hidden the listed Newcastle building has been removed, as repairs to the roofs and elevations near completion.
Worswick Chambers and 93 -101 Pilgrim Street are being fully refurbished by Reuben Brothers vehicle Taras Properties.
When completed in late 2024, the repurposed buildings will become a leisure complex operated by Anson House, part of the stable that operates Stack street food, bar and entertainment complexes.
The team working on the Worswick Chambers project includes Avison Young, Ryder Architecture, SHED Engineers and OOBE Landscape architects. The contractor is Bowmer + Kirkland.
The chambers building was created as a part of the ‘newcut’ of Worswick Street in two phases in 1891 and 1898, although the adjoining buildings of 93 to 101 Pilgrim Street predate this.
Worswick Chambers is adorned with stone sculptures on both the Worswick Street and Pilgrim Street elevations at second floor level, featuring carved heads created by local stonemason John Rogers.
Alexandra Blaylock, associate at Ryder Architecture, said: “It’s fantastic to see the scaffolding come down on the Worswick Chamber’s façade, which has been covered for over 20 years.
“Walking along the street we’ve noticed other passersby are looking up and commenting on its reveal which is a reminder of the positive impact we are having on the city fabric.”
Avison Young director Neil Mandle is project managing the scheme. He added: “The repair and conversion of listed buildings presents challenges, but they are a valuable part of the townscape, so its always rewarding to see them restored and brought back into use”
The buildings sit adjacent to the new Bank House office bock within Pilgrim Place, making up the southern block of the Pilgrim Street regeneration area.
In £11.5m plans approved in 2021, the adjoining fire station site is being converted into a hotel, with high-end operator Hotel Gotham lined up to repeat the success of its venue in Manchester’s Lutyens-designed Midland Bank building.
Pilgrim’s Quarter, the northern block of the development area, will be the new home for 9,000 HMRC employees consolidated into one location. A second tower crane arrived on site in September as the project gathers pace.